Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Lebanon's Minister of Interior, Nuhad Mashnuq

""What they did in Qalamoun decreased to a minimum the car bombs, that's true," Lebanese Interior Minister Nohad Machnouk told Foreign Policy. Machnouk is a top official within the anti-Assad, predominantly Sunni "Future" bloc".  I am most amused when Mashnuq is identified as a "vocal critic of the Syrian regime" or "foe of the Syrian regime".  I met this man once over dinner back in 2010.  Among the things he told me was: don't believe what you read.  I have maintained my relationship with Syrian intelligence long after the assassination of Hariri and I continue to meet with Syrian officials regularly.  Furthermore, he told me that I was wrong in my attacks on former Syrian intelligence chief in Lebanon, Rustum Ghazalah.  He said that I am very unfair to him and that he is a good and smart man.  Word for word.  Such are the champions of the Syrian "revolution" in Lebanon.