Saturday, July 21, 2012

Hisham Bakhtyar: his torture accomplishments


Following is the translation of the torture account. By "Arwa."

As soon as I read about the death of Hisham Bakhtyar I remembered martyr Ridha Haddad and the story of his encounter with Hisham Bakhtyar and Ali Duba: “Brigadier Hisham took a flat object and severely beat me. He insulted me using foul, obscene language: ‘dog, animal, insect, I’ll crush you, son of a (prostitute) I’ll do things to your sisters and your wife. I’ll expose myself here and do it.’ I felt very dizzy and wanted to vomit in this monster’s face. I lost consciousness. I woke up to find myself on the floor. They had tied my fingers and toes to two electric wires. The current went through my body as I was lying on the wet floor. Brigadier Bakhtyar stood at my head and General Ali Duba was sitting down on a chair. For a few moments I was able to see him from beneath my black blindfold because I was fully flat on the floor. He was wearing silk off-white pants and sat with his legs crossed, with a large cigar in his mouth. In his hand was a glass of whiskey. I saw this as the electrical current made my body shiver. The pain ripped through every cell of my body especially my head. They would stop for a few moments and repeat the interrogation. Then they would spill water on my head and resume the electrocution.”


PS I believe that the role of Bakhtyar was first exposed by dissident Syrian writer, Subhi Hadidi.