Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Egyptian (nude) blogger

I really don't want to get into this silly story which is now dominating Western and Eastern coverage of Egypt. It is most childish form or expression of sexual "liberation."  I worry about a tragic outcome to this story.  I worry that her boyfriend is exploiting her for some reason.  I worry that she may not be all together.  Of course, people should be allowed to express themselves freely and in any way they want, but I worry that this is a story that would wind up boosting the fortunes of the Ikhwan in a conservative society.  Furthermore, what she wrote about sexual liberation is very childish and shallow.  But somebody needs to notify Facebook that some religious kooks started a page on Facebook and are calling for her murder.  This page should be closed down.  I worry that she may be in danger as it is.  (thanks Laure)