Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Syrian Muslim Brotherhood

I detest the Muslim Brotherhood all over the Arab world, nay all over the world.  This is a most reactionary and dangerous (for Arabs and Muslim) organization and I don't trust it one bit (they now support peace with Israel, by the way:  "Mr. Saleh of the Muslim Brotherhood, however, said he supported maintaining the treaty."  So people ask me: what if the Syrian Muslim Brotherhood takes over?  I worry about that especially that this mercenary and reactionary organization has served as a tool for many governments, especially Saudi Arabia.  It has served loyally as a Hariri tool and for a fistful of dollars they even aligned themselves with the despised (despised by the Syrian people) `Abdul-Halim Khaddam.    But I hope that the Syrian people would not opt for this lousy organization. I can only hope but I can't support the regime either.  I know many progressive and secular Syrian intellectuals in Syria and abroad and hope that those views would dominate in the future.