Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Elie Khuri

Elie Khuri was promoted on OTV yesterday in an interview with rich people interviewer, Ricardo Karam. It was a typical interview that Karam conducts with rich people: he is in awe of them and worships their wealth. Khuri is a Lebanese Forces right-winger who worked for Saatchi and Saatchi in the Middle East before launching his own Quantum group and owns Now Hariri website and other shops.  He has worked for Hariri Inc since the 2000 election and has worked on the March 14 propaganda since 2005 (he also worked to promote the American occupation of Iraq in Arabic--great success there, I am sure--and the program yesterday showed him shaking hands with Bush (he looked as if he is about to bow down in worship).   Of course, the propaganda work of March 14 is silly and plagiarized: it is lost on Khuri that what worked for March 14 was not skillful propaganda but: 1) tons of money from Saudi Arabia, US, and Hariri Inc; 2) acute sectarian mobilization.  The rest are details.  A poster of a potato would have worked in that context.  I first heard of this guy back in 2005 when Lebanese film director, Eliane Raheb told me about him and about his role.  She gave me his number and suggested that I interview him.  I called him once and he was in DC but I never called back.