Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Economist's special supplement on the Arab world

I have not written on the special supplement of the Economist (the best magazine there is) on the Arab world (from three weeks ago). What do I think? Well, it is the Economist so it is still better than any other media coverage you read. But I did not feel that they covered much, or as much. And this attention to (or obsession with) the Arab Human Development Report was rather annoying. And they did not cover the controversy surrounding the release of the report. I also believe that the writers of the Supplement suffered from an affliction that all Western correspondents suffer from: to talk to only English or French speaking natives. You did not get the voice of average people covered, I felt. But I would still recommend it: it is better than a year worth of coverage in the Middle East in the New York Times. But I have noticed that the Economist is really identifying with the biases of Western government: this passionate hate of Mugabe and Chavez, for example.