Sunday, May 07, 2017

Economist poll of Arab men's attitudes toward gender

I would not in any way buy this.  I will be analyzing the study (not conducted by the Economist) later (in Arabic). I looked at the methodology and the poll in Arab countries was a combination of face-to-face and phone interviews.  Also, the poll was contacted by various local groups which don't adhere to the same methodology.  Also, the terminology is typically not translatable.  The results of Lebanon are deceptive: there is no way on earth that Lebanese attitudes toward gender are far more progressive.  I interpret it differently: I see it that people in Lebanon are far more aware of discourse and PC language than people in other Arab countries and thus are capable of providing answers which are more to the liking of Western NGOs.  This is another reasons why those cross-country polls should taken with tons of salt and pepper.