Friday, September 12, 2014

"internment" in US history

From a colleague, Adam:  "My grandmother, grandfather, two uncles, and an aunt (all born in Hawai`i, except my grandfather who was born in Okinawa) were imprisoned here during WWII.  Interesting that the Occupying State of Hawai`i govt doesn’t seem too interested in examining their own role in the concentration camps, and that many people in the mainland don’t even know about Sand Island or Hono`ili`uli (there were two islands holding Japanese there, not all of them Japanese-Americans).  US gov’t later paid my family members something like $20k each, but my grandmother refused the money.  My whole family never recovered from that, and I grew up in poverty there in rural O`ahu until my family moved to Las Vegas and California. My strong opposition to settler-colonialism comes from the multiple humiliations of Hawaiians, Japanese, and Okinawans (who were always considered Japanese even though the Japanese don’t consider us Japanese, and both the US and Japan colonized those islands).  I have had long arguments with “house Japanese” here in the US and in Hawai`i about assimilation, solidarity with indigenous peoples, and the like.  Frustrating to be told “oh, you’re from Hawai`i, your family wasn’t interned.”  I always think “internment” is a white washed euphemism for illegal imprisonment."