Thursday, March 08, 2012

Bahraini royal sectarianism against `Alawites

E. sent me this message: "Traveled to Bahrain a couple of days ago for a conference. Was held at the airport for more than 3 hours (I have an american passport bas born in Palestine), several others (French and Brits mainly) were held for about the same time. Apparently they have new rules regarding visa on arrival and they will be going away with it soon. Everyone will be required to apply for visa prior to arrival at a Bahraini embassy. A group of 6 Brits were denied entry and sent back to London. I was asked about my work, asked about how I got the passport, and they wanted to see my business card. Eventually I was let into Bahrain. But the wait and the manner through which they handled us is very similar to the way the zionist thugs treat Palestinians at check points and border crossings.  Taxi drivers are not shy talking about the situation in Bahrain once they find out I'm Palestinian. Things are somehow quite in Manama but there are daily demos in the villages around Manama. They feel that things will hit Manama again.  Anyway, in today's paper, Akhbal Al-Khaleej, last page had this cartoon (I'm attaching it is as well) showing a Saddam Hussain figure, I guess they wanted to show Bashar but got their men mixed up, with the word alawite on his arm pushing a roller against people with the caption "Ethnic Cleansing in Syria". Ya3ni of all people to complain about ethnic cleansing and discrimination, the Bahrainis got to do it, they got some nerve!!!"