Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Munsif Al-Marzuqi

I really like and respect this man--the new president (without powers) in Tunisia.  I have been following him closely.  I never met him but he once asked me to sign a petition which I did (I dont remember the topic).  I believe he is the most powerful Arab leader today, morally speaking. His words (unlike the words of his colleagues) carry weight and meaning.  There have been things that bothered me: he had supported the Bahrain uprising and yet did not mention it in his inaugural speech.  I don't like his alliance with An-Nahda and I don't like his softening on the secular agenda.  I did not like his first call made to King Muhammad of Morocco or his thanks to Clinton for ostensible US support for Tunisians.  These are all political gestures that we expect from Arab rulers but not from him.  I personally believe that Arab intellectuals--particularly those who have lived abroad--should stay away from power.  I have lived more years in the US than in Lebanon and for that I adamantly refuse to answer questions by Arabs about political recipes or what should be done.  I don't believe I have the right to propose solutions. Criticisms? I do that yes, and in abundance.  Here is an interview with Marzuqi by Fahmi Huwaydi.  He is very damning in his criticisms of the US.