Thursday, December 22, 2011

Flash: New York Times can now tell `Alawite demonstrators from Sunni demonstrators

Read all about it here:  "Many said they were Alawites, members of a heterodox Muslim sect who fill the top ranks of the government."  Did the secret correspondent of the Times mingle with the crowd and asked them individually if they were `Alawites?  Is that how this conclusion was reached or was it based on "many" told the correspondent that those people on TV were `Alawites?  Which way is it?  But there were women with veils--and `Alawite women don't veil.  Explain that one for me.  But you know that this is a propaganda piece when you read this: "The demonstrators waved the flags of Lebanon, Russia and Iran."  I saw several footage of the demonstration in question and they were overwhelmingly carrying Syrian flags although I spotted one Hizbullah flag.  So the Times now has to lie for the propaganda story to cohere?  And let me add this note: I have read names of several Syrians in exile who are now identified with the Syrian opposition.  In the case of some, I have argued with them over the years about the Syrian regime. Some of those people have been apologists for the regime and some have even tried to secure "diplomatic" jobs with the regime.  They know who they are.  I don't support the lousy shop called Syrian National Council but at least I know that I have never for a minute in my life supported the lousy Syrian regime.