Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My categorical hostility towards Israel

"AbuKhalil's hostility towards Israel -- and hence, towards anyone who isn't an anti-Zionist fanatic --  is well-established.  He accused President Obama, of all people, of giving "free reign to the Zionist lobby" in a 2010 Al Jazeera television interview."  That really describes me accurately.  Some wonder why I am so categorical in my rejection of Israel and why I never miss an opportunity to reiterate this position. I will tell you why.  I came to the US in 1983: I used to attend every lecture on the Middle East in the Washington, DC area.  I used to fume whenever I saw an Arab academic, personality, diplomat, etc is asked whether he recognizes Israel.  Invariably, I used to watch those Arab speakers fidget and waffle and beat around the bush . For some reason, they were too embarrassed to declare out loud: No, I don't and will not ever recognize the racist and usurping occupation state of Israel. Never ever.  So when I had my chance at the podium, I felt I should declare my stance on behalf of many Arabs who were too nervous or too afraid to express themselves freely.  Got it?