Thursday, March 18, 2010

This is Zionism

A reader who should not be identified sent me this: "This is in regards to the Jerusalem demonstrations and Israeli censorship. I received a frantic call from my sister notifying me that my cousin was captured by the Israelis and severely beaten. There were violent skirmishes between the Israeli Offense Force and Palestinians in East Jerusalem. My cousin, who is from the Mount of Olives neighborhood of East Jerusalem was involved in demonstrations and was apprehended by undercover Israeli agents posing as Palestinian protestors (with keffiyehs concealing their identities) who help instigate violence, and turn around and arrest people. They instigate violence so that the Israeli police/military can have "justification" to use brute and disproportional force. Nonetheless, they beat him in front of press cameras, and detained him. My aunt got word, and went to the Russian compound (detention center) in E. Jerusalem and they did not allow family members to see him. After much discussion, they allowed his brother to walk in to see him, and he swears that he could not recognize his own brother from how badly they had beaten him. Prior to going in, my aunt said she could hear her son getting beaten and tortured in the other room. My cousin Maisa (his sister) said she was able to watch a video of her own brother getting beaten on a website (presumably Palestinian) that was based in Israel (with a ".il"), and there were pictures as well. After getting so many views, the Israelis took down the videos and photos (of course), which is commonplace. Censorship is rampant in Israel, and it's media is far from democratic (contrary to what they want you to believe). I hear from family members constantly that the Israeli authorities target sites that show photos of demonstrations and the repugnant Israeli "response" to save face. Anyway, my cousin is 17, and is currently awaiting trial (while in the hospital). There is talk of a 3rd Intifada. Please post this. I do not want to cheapen the cause by begging for "awareness", but just to inform."