Sunday, March 21, 2010

Megan Stack

I like Megan Stack, LA Times' foreign correspondent. I never met her but she was stationed in Beirut during the Potato Revolution and she was by far the most reasonable (and accurate) among the foreign correspondents in the city. Her dispatches from there were always rightly critical and cynical, unlike the pro-Hariri, pro-Bush propaganda that filled US newspapers during those times. I have received a pre-publication version of her new book--thanks Megan--(to come out soon from Random House), titled Every Man in this Village is a Liar. I am reading the book with great interest and she is a very interesting writer and has a sharp section on Israel (read about Miri on page 45). I will say more but for now: what is with the offensive title. It was not her line, I know (just as the Angry Arab is an ironic title) but come on. It does not reflect well on the people she is writing about.