Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Newsweek Iran correspondent

I heard an interview on CNN with the Newsweek correspondent in Iran who was recently released from jail by the insecure government of Ahmadinajad. What struck me is this: politics is more important than qualification when Western media hire local stringers and free lancers. I mean, let me be nice: the man is not--how to say--very bright. But then he said: that the "West" should stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "by all means necessary." He spoke those words, I kid you not. I thought to myself: can you imagine if a local Middle East correspondent for Newsweek or New York Times said in an interview that the "West" should stop Israel nuclear weapons' program by "all means necessary". I mean, that person will never ever be hired for any job by those media. If Taghreed El-Khodary--who does what she is told with no questions asked--ever uttered those words, the New York Times would arrange for her to report form one of the tunnels of Gaza for a Russian magazine.