Sunday, November 15, 2009

Egyptian State Press

I was at the Berkeley library yesterday moving in the stack area. I passed by a section which had issues of Rose Al-Yusuf Magazine. So I thought: it would be fun to check the issues when Anward Sadat was assassinated. So I checked that issue: and it was full of tributes and praise and testimonials for that dead unrepentant anti-Semitic Nazi fanatic, who more than anybody helped unleash the wave of fanatical Islamic fundamentalism in our region, in collaboration with Saudi intelligence chief at the time, Kamal Adham, who was a close ally of Ashraf Marwan (the accused Israeli spy). And then I looked at the very next issue: surprise, surprise. Sadat was gone, and the new issue was full of praise, tributes, and testimonials for Husni Mubarak. The writer in the issue all agreed that the one week of Husni Mubarak's new regime was full of prosperity, peace, and tranquility. I left the library learning about Egyptian state press what I knew not before.