Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Nadim of Human Rights Watch saw my post on the Nepalese maid and sent me this (I am quoting with his permission):
"I saw your latest comment on the suicide of the Nepalese domestic worker in Tripoli. Actually, we did investigate. We were in the police station yesterday and made a number of interviews and looked at various documents. There is no evidence of ill-treatment in this case. It is a real tragedy. The woman’s husband in Nepal was very sick and all the money she was sending back was being spent on his treatment. If you ask my opinion, it seems that she was stuck between two worlds: (i) being home sick and (ii) needing to continue to work in Lebanon to send money back to her family. FYI. We have been working on documenting the numbers of of death of migrant domestic workers and looking at the various cases. Hope to get something out there in the next couple of weeks (I am still waiting on some numers from some of the embassies)."