Saturday, July 30, 2005

Steps in Exile by Iraqi poet Baland Haydari (my translation):
"This is
me
--discarded--there are
two suitcases
and steps feeling a sidewalk
that does not belong to a place
from one thousand harbors I came
and to one thousand harbors
I am destined
and one thousand waiting
is in my sight
No...
I have not finished
NO...I have not finished
your grapevines, oh road, are still
pregnant and the
wine jugs are still thirsty
and I fear
I fear that the sad and silent
nights wake up
And life
as life says to us:
A hand that salutes on a
sidewalk that does not belong
to a place
*
No...
I have not finished
Behind all the nights of
this earth
I have a love and a house
and a love and a house
remain for me
despite her nervous and sharp
silence
and despite what the wound contains
of hate and rancor
a house and a love shall remain for me
and time may go back for me
*
If it goes back for me
if the clarity of the blue sky
embraces my eyelashes
Will a heart in that house
beat for me, I wonder
Will the son of that past
remember a love, I wonder
Will two yes smile
or will they mock and ask
--Have you not finished
What do you want and why
have you come
I see in your glances a tale
of one thousand dead
and will yell:
Don't approach him
in his hands there is...
tomorrow
The morning will commit
suicide
and there will be no road
and no glow
No...
Expel him. His steps
toward us have no clouds
to bring green to hope
and they will pass
*
This is...me
-discarded--there...
two suitcases
and life
as life says to us:
a hand that salutes on a sidewalk
that does not belong to a place"