Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Joumana Haddad: she is not a racist but she hates looking at Syrian people

I have mocked this joke of a writer at An-Nahar (the right-wing, sectarian Christian and racist newspaper) before, and I have pointed out that she invents heroic roles for herself for Western journalists (and even dares to steal "the Angry Arab" label for herself although she was confronted about that by TV presenter Zahi Wahbi).  Here, she starts her column like this: "There is not in me an iota of racism. I say this strongly." Then she goes on to complain about the sight of Syrian people in Lebanon and how much that bothers her: "It disturbs me that wherever I go, like to a restaurant I know and frequent for a while, I find that the Lebanese staff has all changed and has become, from the head of the pyramid to the bottom, Syrian".