Monday, July 09, 2012

being quoted in the Western press

In 1993, I met Judith Miller.  It was a time when the New York Times was covering Islam and Muslims and Arabs following the World Trade Center bombing in that year.  She came to my office at the Middle East Institute and interviewed me at length. I was quoted that year in the New York Times (the last year to my knowledge).  I was then asked by an establishment council in New York City to debate her: I relished the job and got more excited as Edward Said called me that morning and told me that he would like to attend the debate.  If I had intended to be tough with Miller, I became even tougher: I figured that Edward deserves a good show.  After the debate, she never spoke with me ever again and I was not cited once again in the Times.  Tony Shadid interviewed me for an article last year, but my comments was left on the editing floor, I guess.  Back when I was a graduate student in the 1980s, I did many media appearances but as time went by I realized how the game is played.  I figured that if you are being quoted it means you are being unoriginal and not being threatening to Israeli propaganda.  The more unquotable you are the more principled you are, I figured.  And Western media can quote me on this one.  But after Sep. 11, something happened in me: I became so bored with Western media, and so impatient with their questions. But I have told this story before and about my epiphany when I once was speaking to Anderson Cooper live on TV.