Thursday, May 10, 2012

Al-Qa`idah's media contact

Saad sent me this:  "I recently read of the selective releases of Bin Laden document stash by CTC, and found an article naming several western journalists that Al-Qaeda had supposedly listed as media contacts. Among them I found Gywnne Dyer – hadn’t heard of him before – and I decided to check him out. Here’s his work: and about him:. I was wondering whether you had heard of him before. And what you thought of his work. Couldn’t figure out whether he was working an angle or was genuine. He worked at Jerusalem Post (fired in ‘97), so that was an alarm bell. And several of his articles seem to give Israel and the U.S. a free pass on crimes I find despicable. Also, he keeps praising Rabin and Oslo. On the other hand, his recent articles on Syria exposing the opposition (i.e.)  and his (dare I say it) ‘realist’ approach to geopolitics looks good. Again, you may pick up something that I can’t but he doesn’t seem to pandering to any one side. I especially like his articles on Pakistan/India (i.e. ), where he doesn’t succumb to general India love affair in western journalism. Anyway, please let me know what you think. Looking forward to your reply."