Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Threats to Aljazeera anchors?

Two days ago, Al-Quds Al-`Arabi flashed on its front page a story that some remaining (as several main anchors and correspondents have resigned, including most recently the talented, Sami Kulayb) anchors and presenters have been receiving threats--email threats.  I mean, anyone who writes on a blog receives death threats damn it--although I must say that I have not received threats in a couple of years now.  But I dont understand why Al-Quds Al-`Arabi splashed the story on its front page.  But what bothered me is that the story concluded by talking about the rise in the popularity of Aljazeera in the wake of Arab revolutions.  That bothered me because it is so untrue when everybody in the Arab world knows that the network has become quite unpopular and is reviled on Arab internet.   But Al-Quds Al-`Arabi (which I read daily and is head and shoulders above the Saudi propaganda sheets in London) is Qatari-funded.  So that explains it.