Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Green Revolution

Daniel sent me this: "I came across THIS video showing a crowd Iranian demonstrators beating up someone who seems to be objecting to their demonstration (the video says he's basij but I don't think we can know this). I haven't seen any videos of Tunisians or Egyptians doing anything like this. I've been totally supportive of the recent movements to overthrow Arab regimes and would also support overthrowing the Iranian regime, but I've always been put off by the Iranian "Green Movement", the crowds seem to be of a fundamentally different nature than those which overthrew Bin Ali and Mubarak. They remind me of the demonstrations by Saad Hariri's supporters after he lost his majority a few weeks ago. I don't know exactly how they are different or why this is but I definitely sense it."