Wednesday, February 16, 2011

From Aljazeera English

The source does not want to be cited by name: "Dear As'ad,
You might remember that I work for Aljazeera (English), and the network is being criticized heavily for its lack of presence in Bahrain. I see many people are upset Aljazeera didn't have a satellite link covering the Lulu Roundabout crowd, as they did on Tahrir Square.
We've been covering this story nonstop since it happened before dawn this morning. I'm not sure what the Arabic channel is doing, I haven't had a chance to watch it, but so far we're working exactly the way we did when covering Egypt. We've been talking to witnesses and protesters on the ground and putting them on air nonstop, and are still going. That's exactly how we covered Tahrir. It should be worth noting though that Aljazeera has been banned in Bahrain for a while now. We're using unnamed reporters, but its hard getting more in as Bahrain has also ceased giving visas on arrival.
You don't have to publish this (if you do please don't use my name of course) but I thought you should know that there has been no deliberate attempt to tone down the coverage."