Monday, February 21, 2011

Are Muslims Inferior?

I am reading the new book by Steven Fish of UC Berkeley's Political Science Department titled "Are Muslims Distinctive"?  I will write about the book later but don't let the avalanche of statistics and date fool you.  The project is analogous to those studies by racist "social scientists" in 19th and 20th century about the distinctive characteristics of native populations.  I mean, without getting into the details of book and arguments, can you imagine the uproar just on principle if some social scientist went about "investigating" whether Jews or blacks are really distinctive and different (read inferior)?  Such a project would be condemned and no funding organization would offer a penny.  But I like how Fish introduced his book: by saying he is "unbiased with prejudice".  Well, if he gives himself a clean bill of humanitarians, we should feel better.  I also like how he talks about how everybody is talking about how Muslims are different from the rest.  Well, I don't know who he hangs out with, but it seems to me that, no: not everyone is talking about that, but we my talk to the wrong people I guess.  And his data is focused on negative characteristics, only.  He did not want to investigate, say, whether Muslims are more generous than others.  But I should reserve judgment till later. I love how external forces, at a time when we saw first hand the extent to which Arab tyrannies are supported from Western governments, are totally ignored from his treatment. Israel did receive a passing reference as to how Arabs perceive it as a threat.  And Fish does not mind using data of varying degree of reliability and even admits to shortcomings of major surveys and the different translations and meanings of say the question "do you attend a religious service"? This questions is untranslatable into Arabic for example and yet it is widely used in the book and its conclusions (although he does conclude that Christians seem as religious as Muslims).