Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Western media and Angry Arab

I am so impatient with Western media, these days.  I tell my students the story of an epiphanic moment more than five years ago when I was in the middle of an interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN when I suddenly felt that I am despising myself for discussing the Middle East with the likes of Anderson Cooper. I then decided to avoid it at all cost.  I get frustrated and it is not worth it for me and I dont derive pleasure from watching myself on TV.  I try to stick to Arab media (although I am of course boycotted by most Arab (Saudi-financed) media.  Just yesterday, someone at Aljazeera English asked me to tape a 30 seconds comment about Tunisia. I of course, refused.  She then added--as if we are in a bargaining session--that she can offer me 60 seconds, and I of course refused.  And then someone at CNN wanted to talk to me about self-immolations in Islam. I almost screamed.