Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The first Arab popular Revolution: all Arab deposed dictators flee to Saudi Arabia

Comrade Khaled, a Syrian scientist, sent me this (I cite with his permission): "My research confirmed that the first popular revolution that removed a tyrant in the Middle East was in 1955, when Adeeb Al-Shishakly had to flee to... Saudi Arabia following mass demonstrations that were accompanied by rebellions in the Northern Army Command (Aleppo),  the Central Command (Homs) and both the Coastal Command and the Syrian Navy (Lattakia). Soon, the Army units around Damascus (Katana and 'Adra) informed Shishakly that they are not fighting their fellow Syrian soldiers, nor moving to Damascus to stop the demonstrations. So, he
packed his cases and went off to his friends in the South.  Al-Shishakly later headed to Argentina with his loot (7 suitcases of banknotes) and was later assassinated by a Druz who sought revenge for the murder of some 100 people in Jabal Al-Arab (formerly and hopefully soon, Jabal Al-Duruz) where the son of the Commander of the Syrian Revolution Sultan Pasha Al-Atrash (as he was labeled by the Syrians during the struggle against France) was murdered by the volleys of tanks against villages and rebels.  May be the Tunisians should retain the Cup because the Tunisian Army did not actually rebel, nor did it begin troop movements to bring the
Tunisian Shishakly down, but simply, according to some reports, refused to obey orders.  For Tunis and the Tunisians, whose Arab hospitality and affection I enjoyed on my regular visits for a decade, I am ready to deliver the Cup in person after hugging each one of them - that is if I can bring my head down from the pride they instilled in me!"

Ramez sent me this: "Allow me to make a small correction regarding the assassination of former Syrian dictator Shishakli. He was killed in Brazil (not in Argentina) in September 1964 by Druze."