Tuesday, July 03, 2007

There is such sympathy for the Palestinians in this country. There is also interest in Arabic and in Arab affairs. I was told that there are some 900 students at the Department of Arabic at the International Islamic University here, and they use the same curricula used in Arab universities. I gave an Arabic lecture at the Usul Ad-Din Department at the university, and students' Arabic was quite advanced I noticed. In the Arab world: there is a bit of arrogance--even among Islamic-minded activists--toward non-Arab Muslims. How many Arab Muslims, for example, study Urdu or Persian or Turkish? I know that the comparison has to take into consideration the religious significance of the Arabic language, but the observation still holds, I think. Thus far, I have noticed that the Saudi government is quite unpopular here: people are generally opposed to the pro-US governments in the region (including their own).