Thursday, July 12, 2007

Do people know who Ghassan Kanafani is? This most talented man. He wrote novels, short stories and essays (he wrote a study of the 1936 Palestinian Revolt), he did Arabic calligraphy, he designed the most beautiful political posters, he edited a revolutionary magazine (see the Al-Hadaf magazines under his editorship--they have some of the copies in the Library of Congress in DC), he wrote political statements and flyers, and he also designed logos, and he struggled with debilitating diabetes. My uncle knew him well: he visited at my grandfather's house in Tyre. Of course, I never met him but heard a lot about him. I never met his widow: I think part of me did not want to. I knew so much about his personal life--while married to her, and about his unrequited (great?) love for Syrian writer Ghadah Samman. (She published his love letters to her (they are beautifully written) in a book form. Her book did not contain her letters to him. She said they were lost. It only confirmed what my uncle had told me about that love affair--both Ghassan and my uncle worked in Al-Hurriyyah, the mouthpiece of the Movement of Arab Nationalists in the 1960s--that Samman really played with Ghassan's heart, and exploited his feelings. She would always give him false hopes, only to disappoint him. I did not think that Ghassan was kind to his Annie Kanafani in that regard. Ghassan Kanafani did not carry a gun: but he was one of thousands of unarmed Palestinians killed by the Zionist movement. Do Israelis really think that by killing this Palestinian writer or that Palestinian poet that the Palestinian nationalist flame would be extinguished?