Thursday, July 13, 2006

Today, I received my annual shipment of Arabic books from Bisan Bookshop in Beirut. Perhaps due to the news coverage on my TV, I decided to read first Joseph Sa`adah's account of his killing years in the Phalanges militia during the Lebanese civil war years. This is the book that people should read to know about the savagery of the Lebanese civil war, and about the Gemayyel brothers, Bashir and Amin. The author, a notorious killer and torturer and one of the main executioners of the Black Saturday--one of the bloodiest days of the Lebanese civil war--tells his story without any emotions or regrets. Instead, he tells it coldly and cynically. When I finished it, I felt an anxiety. I have never believed that the Civil War ended in Lebanon. I can see such things resuming. I can see Israel finding the most cruel and the most fascistic group to arm and finance, as it has done in the past.