Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I saw parts of the Saddam trial. I still get quite annoyed when I see Ramsey Clark sitting there. I mean, can he not find more deserving more poor and innocent victims who so desparately need legal counsil? I must confess that the new judge is much better than the old one. Having said that: I believe that, as we say in Arabic, what is based on falsehoods is false. Whatever takes place under foreign occupation lacks legitimacy. The trial of Saddam should have been an international trial, and it is not because the US wants to keep it under control. Too many damaging information may leak, especially about Saddam's years of honeymoon friendship with US. But Saddam requires a judge like the current one to make him look exactly as he is: pathetic and oblivious to his human rights record. But then the decision to close off the trial, or parts of it, only fuels the imagination of Arab viewers, and I suspect that this was an American decision.