Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Project of Treason by Syrian poet Muhammad Al-Maghut (my translation):
"O homeland sinking in silliness
I will not save you no matter
what means I have
You so often harmed me
from the head to
the bottom of the feet
You deprived me from seeing the stars
from watching the horizon
waiting for the dawn
the smell of bread
love letters
holiday gifts
even sleeping on the sidewalks
You shoved me and pushed me
with your mountains and plains
and treasures,
toward madness
toward mental institutions
and concentration camps
and I made up with you,
and had mercy on you,
and now you want
me to clean
up the ruins from
over you and under you
and I repeatedly warned you
that time is not a watch
around your wrist
or a hat on your head
or a whip in your hand
or an office boy outside your door
Sorry
I have no time to waste
I have an important rendez vouz
with a harlot!
And she is afflicted with AIDS
and Alzheimer
So die in bitterness."