Wednesday, May 04, 2005


Egypt is undergoing very serious changes. I would nominate Egypt for the "Very Precarious Regime Award". There are many signs. Mubarak's marathon interviews (on which I have written) were very indicative in the acute defensiveness of the tone of Mubarak, who went out of his way to remind Egyptians of his past military "glories." And the rising voices of dissent thanks to the courage and determination of Egyptians who for decades fought against autocracy. The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt today did something knew: they mounted surprising synchronized demonstrations throughout Egypt, and, for the first time, they did not resort to that repugnant practice of waving the Qur'an during the demonstrations. Of course, I would not be amused to see Mubarak replaced by the Brotherhood, but then again, I am never amused by regime changes although I want all regimes to be changed, again and again and again. You should never be satisfied--politically speaking. Posted by Hello