Saturday, January 10, 2015

Aside from the obvious reasons

Our debate over the crime in Paris is not really over the crime because we all--I hope--agree on denouncing the crime by the terrorists (children of Western policies and actions in Syria).  But the consequences of such provocative anti-Muslim cartoons and obscenities should be considered: I, for one, don't want to see some Muslims responding to those cartoons with cartoons of their own against members of other faiths.  Do you?  As for censorship, no, I don't want that but there is censorship in all those Western (not to mention Eastern) societies. So please dont think that the "absolute freedom of speech" argument will fly by me. I live in the US and I can go to jail if I receive Al-Manar TV on my cable because it offends Zionist sensibilities.