Monday, April 14, 2014

Abbas Milani and Iran

From the Bahrain correspondent of Angry Arab: "Regarding the idiotic article on Israel and Iran switching places that you posted on your blog by Abbas Milani, there's ridiculous sentence that is simply a lie: 

"By contrast, Iran has a falling birthrate — a clear indication of growing secularism, and the sort of thing that keeps Ayatollah Khamenei awake at night."

Of course what the article fails to mention is that the Islamic regime ushered in one of the most successful family planning programs ever in existence, and that program is credited for the reduction of birth rates in Iran. Honestly when I learned about the program a few years ago I was really surprised but apparently its received world wide recognition. I can no longer access the academic article that I read about the subject because I don't have access to JSTOR anymore but if you google Iran family planning program you'll find a lot of articles about it. I believe that that Ahmedenejad tried to end the program because he felt that the birth rate was falling too much but I don't know if he was successful.

I don't know how an academic like Abbas Milani (as much as I can't stand him) can just straight up lie like that in an article in a major news outlet".