Sunday, April 14, 2013

Palestine on my mind

A few month ago, a well-known Palestinian-American professional woman from the bay area contacted me on Facebook.  She has lived in the US for free and she is in the last stage of cancer.  She told me that she is looking to sell her book collection.  I usually hesitate because my vast book collection contains almost all the books on the Middle East that people have, unless someone has some rare Arabic books.  She told me that she has some Arabic books.  I drove for two hours to visit her.  I entered her house and she showed me to her library room.  She said: you can buy all the books here except the volumes of Our Homeland, Palestine by Mustafa Ad-Dabbagh.  She left the room and left me with the books.  But I had difficulty recognizing the titles because I did not stop crying my whole time in the house but did not want to show her my tears.  I bought some books and left the house, in tears.  I kept thinking: here she is about to depart from this world and yet is not ready to part with her Our Homeland, Palestine book.