Thursday, September 27, 2012

When Saudi Arabia and Qatar deliver freedom

"More than two months after the battle for Aleppo began, residents are grumbling about the high cost of the Syrian revolution and accuse rebels of excesses. The romantic image of a people rising up against their tyrannical leader is beginning to fray for some residents of the northern metropolis, whose neighborhoods are the scene of daily bombardments and bloody street battles.
Caught in the crossfire of a war in which they feel sidelined, those most angry even accuse the rebels of using them as “human shields.”
Fayez Shuayb, 65, who lives in the Saif al-Dawla district, does not hide his disillusionment. “I went to visit my mother, and when I came home there were a dozen armed men in my house.”
“Some were wearing my clothes, using my kitchen and watching my TV.”
The retired topographer, who suffers from diabetes and heart problems, says he lived in New York for 10 years, working on the construction of a bridge.
“Don’t worry old fella. We won’t steal anything,” he recalls being told by the armed men.
“I’m old enough to be their granddad but they respect nothing and no one. I tried to make them leave but they refused to move. They think they can get away with everything because they carry guns and fight against (President) Bashar Assad,” he added.
The young rebels offered to “kick down the door” of a neighboring house so Shuayb could move in there.
“Imagine what would happen when the neighbors came back to find me in their bed – they’d shoot me,” he fumes, saying he finally resigned himself to sleeping in the street.
He found shelter in a small building adjoining his house, which he illuminates with two candles. “We’re paying too high a price for our freedom. I don’t want this revolution if this is the cost.
“There are a lot of empty buildings in Aleppo. They’re brand new as there’s been no time for people to move in. I suggested the fighters set themselves up in those, rather than in a family home,” he says.
But he claims they refused: “They’re scared of becoming targets for the army if they go into empty buildings. That’s why they prefer living among the population. They use us as human shields.”
Shopkeeper Abu Hussein slates the lootings the rebels have carried out.
“They come into shops and take what they want, justifying it by saying they’re fighting for our freedom. If this is what freedom looks like, I don’t want it.”"