Monday, June 11, 2012

A new factor in the Arab airwaves: Al-Mayadin

When I was interviewed recently by a Western reporter about the new Arabic Sky news, I commented that no one is even talking about it and that it will most likely fail, just like many other new Arabic channels (but no failure can surpass the failure of the US channel, Al-Hurra: the mere name can trigger chuckle in Arab settings).  There is a new channel today, Al-Mayadin.  You can watch it live on the internet (a bit choppy).  I don't like the logo of the channel: it suits an import-export company.  As for the slogan: "reality as it is", it bothers me at the philosophical level.  When I see or hear the slogan, I am reminded of the treatment in Kant's Critique of Pure Reason.  Better yet, the allegory of the cave in Plato's Republic is a refutation that we can see reality as it is, always, or whether presenting "reality as it is" is actually desirable.  We may sometimes need a slogan "reality as it does not appear through our senses".  These may not be important.  I have watched it in the last few hours, and I have shared few thoughts privately with the owner, Ghassan Bin Jiddu.  But I will say this publicly: the channel will rise and fall purely on the coverage of the Syrian issue.  Thus far, I was not pleased with the coverage of Syria: the correspondent in Damascus merely transmitted the account of the regime, and rather uncritically.  I am told that they interviewed opposition folks but I have not see this.  Furthermore, they are pushing the Syrian issue to the background: the newscast I saw had Syria come after a report about shooting in Benghazi, for some reason.  Their coverage of Lebanon is most balanced: they really cover both sides, and that is rare these days in Arab media.  All correspondents and anchors seem very well-trained and very well-prepared.  They seem professional and serious and show respect for the Arabic language.  The able Sami Kulayb handled his first talk show typically professionally and effectively, and he knows how to separate his views from handling the requirements of the job.  Will it succeed in a crowded airwaves environment?  If it becomes yet another pro-Syrian regime outlet, it will fail.  It can only succeed if it can bring something new: something not burdened with propaganda pressures or requirements.