Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dalai Lama on Palestine

Hussam sent me this:  "Hi As'ad, I can't verify if this exchange occurred or if it was expressed in this way but it sounds like something the Dalai Lama would say. A student/activist challenged the Dalai Lama on his views on Israel and below is his response (summary). It's funny how people are impressed with him.

"The Jewish viewpoint of Israel is one of ancient times where they were made refugees thousands of years ago. I met groups of Palestinians who wanted their rights. It is difficult to judge but they should live together and help each other. In Jerusalem the land is greener and they use every technique. The side of Palestine is dry and not green. They should use the skills of the Jews and live together. On my second visit to Tel Aviv, I met a small group of Palestinians and Israeli’s living together in harmony. Israeli President Shimon Peres I know him, he is genuine for peace. With more interactions both for peace, sooner or later a clash will sort the problem. Palestine is an older issue than the Tibetan issue but violence is still involved. It is very sad."