Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Arab American public opinion

I wrote about Syrian American public opinion and said that they are overwhelmingly opposed to the regime.  Many Syrians wrote to me in disagreement: some argued that my comment ignored non-Muslim Syrians in the US and maintained that most Syrian Christians in the US supported the regime.  Others argued that there are Syrians in the US who support Asad but are afraid to speak out.  On this point, I received a good insight on the matter from Thabet at Ikhras: (I cite with his permission):

"Also wanted to share a thought with you. I noticed your posts on Arab-American public opinion regarding the Syrian regime. I don't believe Arab-Americans are entirely free to express their opinions. Arab-Americans are hesitant to express views outside the official discourse in this country. For example, they are not likely to express support for any Arab regime singled out by the US Gov for demonization. An even better example is found among Lebanese-Americans. The Hariri folks and supporters of the Lebanese Forces (as allies of US Foreign Policy) are able to openly express their views. They openly organize and maintain websites. I've even seen their booths at Arab-American cultural festivals. On the other hand, Lebanese-Americans that may support Hizballah are unable to express any such views for the obvious reasons. The strict parameters of American public discourse, and a climate of fear and intimidation, not to mention potential legal ramifications, make it impossible for Arab-Americans to speak freely."