Monday, January 23, 2012

Saudi media and Iran

A Gulf journalist who does not want to be identified sent me this:  "Anyway, your post about al Arabiyya reminded me about a conversation I had last year with a Saudi journalist for the channel. He is in no way disloyal to Aal Saud and doesn't oppose their foreign policy. He was telling me that most of the orders about coverage on Iran come "from above". I asked if he meant from the owners and he said no, from the government. He said there was more government involvement in Al Arabiyya than most people think, and that journalists often get frustrated for being forced to exaggerate news on Iran, or not give it the kind of scrutiny that other news gets.  Similarly, when I was in Libya last year we constantly heard complaints from humans rights organisations about al Arabiyya's false reporting on the humans rights abuses by Gaddafi loyalists.  If it serves the agenda, it can be invented."