Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Sectarian killings in Syria and role of Hizb At-Tahrir

An informed reader answered a few questions for me about Syria:  "Yes, both sides appear engaged in kidnapping and killing. Some Sunni blame Al-Sahbei7a for some of these (they claim that the regime wants to fuel sectarianism) but no one could confirm that for me with evidence.

Historically, Hizb AtTahrir had a strong presence in Hims. I was invited as a teenager (now I am 49) but was more interested in girls than in the party. As I've seen in the '80s, the regime managed to eliminate most, if not all, of its followers (along with Ikhwan, of course) and I do not believe that the young generation (now 15-40) has been significantly exposed to either party. This is based on my observations, and I have to say that I cannot be 100% sure. My contacts are not politically connected to these parties (they are mostly liberal/secular or lightly religious) so I doubt they would know for certain. The names of demonstrators (and detainees) that I was told about do not belong to Islamist parties for sure. Most of them are educated young men that either cannot find jobs or have little prospects for advancement if they have ones. The graduated from college (or even higher education) yet they have to drive a taxi or do other menial jobs to make some living. Also, many of the demonstrators (whom I am less directly exposed to) are of economically poor and from a traditional, strict (but not political,) religious background. The demonstrations have galvanized people around their respective neighborhoods and became some sort of a communal activity with a fair amount of organization. People have roles and those who do not participate are shunned and ridiculed as cowards. Leaderships have arisen from within with loose connection with adjacent neighborhoods.

Towns that I know quite well about are Djebleh and banias. There was/is no signification presence of Tahrir or Ikhwasn in these rather small (mixed Sunni and Alawi) towns. Yet they were one oh the early risers against the regime. They have been brutally subdued and numerous men still detained.

To sum, it is my impression that the Islamist political parties (with much stronger presence outside rather than inside Syria) have been taken by surprise with the revolution and did not have a role, at least initially, in it. I am not confident in judging whether they managed to connect with (steal) the revolution and participate in organizing in any significant way. I am sorry I cannot be of more useful in this regard. I will ask, though, and if I gather any additional information, I will forward it to you."