Saturday, December 10, 2011

Migrant workers in Bahrain


Angry Arab chief Bahrain correspondent sent me this: "This is something that really pains me but it is important that I share it with you. There is racism and bigotry against migrant workers from all sides in Bahrain, whether they are supporters of the regime or the opposition. It has always existed and will continue to exist until they are given equal rights and protection under the law. These poor migrant workers are being exploited by the regime: they are being paid or forced to hold pictures of the Prime Minister and the Crown Prince. Now the picture is being circulated on twitter by a lot of pro-opposition tweeps. The reason many people are finding it so funny is because the regime supporters keep talking about how Bahrain is an "Arab" country and that the protestors are not really "Arab" and are "Iranian agents" but at the same time, regime have been exploiting migrant workers to beef up the numbers of the pro-regime (since they are a minority - a sizable one - but a minority nevertheless). However, I also sense underlying racism by the people tweeting this picture. I hope people one day see what I see in this picture - two innocent men being used and exploited by a disgusting regime that knows no bounds.

I've said this before and I will repeat it again - this is why I respect Nabeel Rajab and Abdul Hadi AlKhawaja and everyone else that works for the Bahrain Center for Human Rights. They are the one human rights organization in Bahrain that fights for the rights of everyone - migrant workers, women, men, bahrainis, expats, guantanamo bay detainees.. You name them, they've fought for them."