Saturday, September 10, 2011

Burhan Ghalyun

I like Burhan Ghalyun.  I have always liked his writings and his firm stance against Israel and Zionism, although his work over do it about "democracy is the solution" business.  This tune can be as irritating as the "Islam is the solution" tune--at least for my ears.  Ghalyun is respected by many among the liberals and nationalists in Syrian opposition although he has agreed as of late to align himself with the lousy Muslim Brotherhood (I oppose the Ba`th regime in the vehemence that I oppose the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood in Syria).  He was on Aljazeera Arabic yesterday: he said that he opposes Western intervention in Libya and that he prefers Arab intervention because "Gulf regimes don't have a special agenda" like the Western governments.  I kid you not.  He said that.  My eyes and ears fell on the floor and I had to pick them up, gently.