Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Walid Ghulmiyyah died

The head of the Lebanese conservatory, Walid Ghulmiyyah, died.  I had written about him before.  He was a very talented musician although he marred his career with "symphonies" he composed for the regime of Saddam.  He was controversial in Lebanon, and his critics even claimed that he really did not earn a PhD in music from University of Texas at Austin. I know that he was very talented and that his music in the late 60s and early 70s (especially the songs for Jospeh `Azar and Fadwa `Ubayd) were really good.  I liked them a great deal.  I ran into him last summer in a super marker in Beirut. I asked him about his early work.  He said that they were not available but that they were all digitally preserved and that he will issue them later.  He died too soon.