Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Syrian letter to the Editor

A Syrian reader shared this with me:  "Dear Editor, Am I to understand the Obama Administration in considering war crime charges against Syria?  Let me see, I understand that dissident groups claim the government of Syria has killed 1,300 citizens while admitting that over 300 security and military personnel also met their end in the fighting.  But, even if there are 10,000 so-called refugees in Turkey, aren't there over 1,300,000 Iraqi refugees in Syria because of the American invasion of that country.  Is it not agreed that American action in Iraq is the cause of the deaths of over 300,000 Iraqi civilians?  Is the Obama Administration becoming immune to balanced or proportional thinking?  Is anyone going to bring war crime charges against Bush, Cheney or Blair?  Puzzled. "

*PS Why I share the reader's outrage against Western hypocrisy, I take issue with his characterization of Syrian refugees as "so-called refugees".