Thursday, June 16, 2011

Racism and Zionism and Colonialism and Sexual Orientalism of Tom MacMaster

Hussam sent me this:  "This interview is in Portuguese (the page translate isn't bad) and revealing of his racist orientalist views. He thinks he should be praised.   "Who is the man behind Amina? Can I say I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body.  I feel their pain deeply. But I will not talk much about my personal life, I believe it takes away attention from what really matters: the homosexual repression in Syria.   With so many groups being oppressed in Syira, why did you choose to create the character of a lesbian girl? I used Amina as an analogy of the entire gay community. I wanted to release this social group, to give voice to these people. I wanted them to come forward and overcome oppression. I also hoped to bring the religious issue to the fore. Besides the government, Islam also represses. With habits like the veil, that religion not only condemns and highlights the beauty of human sexuality. Amina personified that.  There have also been some positive responses, people who think that, although my character was fictional, I was very courageous to write such things and go into such profound reflections. Many people would not have the courage to do this. I am like a messiah for the lesbians of Syria......My wife knew some Syrian real lesbians who were forced to repress their sexuality. That was my motivation to start the blog and where I was inspired to write the experiences of Amina. Moreover, I gathered information on a variety of media outlets. Knowing more about the subject became an obsession for me.   Do you think what you did wrong? I believe that the ends justify the means. For me, I did not matter, what matters is what must be done. The gay community sees as my means negligible, but I did it for the greater good, to help her. I wanted to release this group. And even though I have received so much criticism, I reached my goals: I make people talk about it."


PS Tom MacMaster just wrote to me denying that these are his words.  He says that this is a fake interview.