Thursday, June 09, 2011

Day of the clans in Syria

Elements of the Syrian opposition movement have marked tomorrow as the Day of the Clans.  When I hear of any revival of the reactionary clans or tribes and their polygamous male elders, I always detect the hand of colonial powers. They always rejuvenate, empower, fund, and arm the tribes to push their agenda: this is true of Western colonial powers and of Israel.  Am I saying that the protests in Syria are the making of outside colonial powers? No, I will repeat what I say: there are two forces going on in Syria: there is a genuine, real, and sincere domestic protest movement, and there is an outside external conspiracy managed by Saudi Arabia through the reactionary Syrian Muslim Brotherhood.   It is the task of progressives who want the downfall of the Syrian regime (people like me) to stress the need for regime change (not reform) and for fierce opposition of the Saudi-managed elements of the Syrian opposition.  Finally, the notion that all protests in Syria are part of an outside conspiracy, as is claimed by the Syrian regime, should be dismissed out of hand.