Friday, April 01, 2011

Heroism of the Lebanese Army

Read this.  It is self-explanatory:  "I was walking through Hamra today, down Makdisi Street, which was blocked off by the Lebanese army for a few blocks around the Syrian embassy to ensure that no protests were staged. On the intersection where HSBC bank is there were a few dozen soldiers and pedestrians standing around watching two soldiers smack a very slight handcuffed man around. He was crying. They were pulling his hair and smacking him in the back of the head. It was a repulsive scene. He looked so terrified and humiliated. The only thing I've ever seen the Lebanese army do in terms of 'law enforcement' is smack around handcuffed Syrian workers. Nobody watching this scene said anything. I asked the soldiers if they were tough guys for hitting someone who was handcuffed and told them it was shameful. They laughed (like I was cute/pathetic.)
It reminded me of how repulsive the atmosphere was in 2007 during the Nahr el Bared bombardment, and how so many Lebanese liberals made the Lebanese Army emblem their profile picture on Facebook. Tfeh.
If you choose to use this anecdote for your blog, I wish to remain anonymous."