Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Soren Pind

Carsten (a reader from Denmark) sent me this (I cite with permission):  "I've read and admired your blog for a long time. Today I saw something that compelled me to write to tell you this:
On friday 11th, there will be a large demo in Copenhagen in favour of democracy in the Middle East. Unbelievably, Søren Pind, the current Danish minister of "integration" (foreigners) and "devolopment" (humanitarian aid, development programmes) will be among the speakers.  Mr. Pind is an unapologetic racist who has supported the Danish Hells Angels' "Jackal Manifesto" which said Arabs "squeal when they are
beaten". I kid you not. He has also said there will be no more "integration" - foreigners must assimilate completely or leave. And he is in charge! I kid you not. I don't know what the other speakers are thinking, but I know I'd only go for one reason: To protest again that man's presence. I can only hope he will meet his one little slice of Tahrir on Friday. The Facebook page of the demo is here - it's in Danish, but you can
easily see his name:  There's a little background on Pind in this blog post by an Indonesian friend of mine - as she writes, she is only half exaggerating when she says she wants a packed suitcase next to her bed with this guy as "integration minister":  And he's speaking at a rally "for" democracy in Egypt!"